Welcome!

Glad you're checking out my adventures with wine! Please feel free to browse and, by all means, let me know what you think.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sangiovese Di Romagna- Ummmmm, no thanks


I must admit, I grabbed this wine because it was listed at the Class 6 (a liquor store on an Air Force base) for $6.30.  I had already picked up another, promising wine but I had to have this super cheap wine.  I simply was curious as to what a wine for that cheap could offer.  Honestly, a lot of Barefoot's wines go for less than $7.  And, honestly, most of them are better.

Bolla's 2008 Sangiovese Di Romagna was, at best, not good.  I knew we were in trouble when I smelled the cork and I noticed a distinct note of funk.  Not easily discouraged, however, my husband and I pushed forward.  On the nose was some spice, raspberries, and, as I mentioned earlier, a bit of funk.  On the palate it was (to quote my husband) "Sour, sour, sour."  This is not an exaggeration.  Maybe you could taste some young red berries, but they were tart, unripened berries.  And perhaps there was some plumb- the sour plumb skin, however, not the sweet flesh.  Did I mention this wine was sour?

I've had a sangiovese before, and it was fabulous.  Spicy, with dark fruit hints, and great depth.  Bolla did not make a characteristic sangiovese.  This is the second sour wine I've had this month.  I think two a month is enough.  The last was a Merlot and I mused this might have been due to being a young wine.  Maybe this Sangiovese was not ready.  But I don't think funk dissipates with time.  I would pass if you see this one on the shelf!

No comments:

Post a Comment