Welcome!

Glad you're checking out my adventures with wine! Please feel free to browse and, by all means, let me know what you think.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Red Diamond Merlot not a Diamond in the Rough

Red Diamond's 2008 Merlot is probably the prettiest wine I've opened so far.   It has a beautiful garnet color that's just lovely.  Unfortunately, its flavor doesn't match its beauty.  It's not a bad wine, by any means.  It is light in body and on the tannins, but quite sour.  On the nose is spice and cherries, with some mild cedar and red grapes.  This wine offers flavors of sour cherries and a hint of cedar with some spice, but only a little.  The finish yields a touch of vanilla and maybe some oak as well.

For dinner I had stuffed eggplant (with mozzarella, Parmesan, and provolone cheeses and tomato sauce) and I wouldn't say the merlot complemented it.   I had also just baked some fabulous triple chocolate cookies with walnuts and they didn't benefit from the wine either.  It was just too sour to enrich my dinner or dessert.  And try as I might, I can't think of a dinner that would benefit from such as sour wine.  Maybe it was designed to compliment a less-sweet dessert.

For $11, this wine is drinkable but less than ideal.  I am wondering if the tartness is a result of a young wine.  Perhaps this one would benefit from some time in a wine cellar.  Which is great if you have one.  But I don't.  I'll leave it to age in the store.

1 comment:

  1. The theme of your blog is very beautiful and the article is written very well about diamond ring, I will continue to focus on your article.

    ReplyDelete