Welcome!

Glad you're checking out my adventures with wine! Please feel free to browse and, by all means, let me know what you think.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Zinfandel from Alexander Valley: Zin-fully good!

Nothing like starting a post with an irresistibly bad pun!  I'm back from summer vacations and ready to return to tasting with our first Zinfandel!

Alexander Valley's 2007 Sin Zin Zinfandel promises a  fruity nose and it certainly delivers.  It's fruity with a touch of vanilla and spice, just as the website promises.  The first thing I noticed when I tasted the wine were the strawberry and raspberry flavors.  Then a plummy taste leads to a spice- according to the back of the bottle it's black pepper.  At first I did not notice any oak flavors (as their website said I would), but upon further inspection it is just barely there in the finish.  I also didn't notice at first the cherry flavor that works with the plum, but after a few more sips I think I can notice it, only I think it's more of a finishing flavor.

This is a moderately sweet wine that's very light on the tannins, has very little acidity, and a light body.  My husband and I enjoyed Sin Zin with a spicy BBQ chicken.  While this was good, I believe a hearty steak and baked potatoes would be a better match.  We did, however, both really enjoy this Zinfandel.  It had good fruit flavor balanced with the appropriate amount of spices.  And it's not a Texas wine, so look it up next time you're out!


Wine tasting notes were found at http://www.avvwine.com/scripts/display_product.php?product_id=65.


1 comment: